First Aid is an essential part of Health and Safety within the workplace because no matter how many precautions are put in place, accidents will happen.
With many common causes of workplace accidents, a First Aid Needs Assessment is needed to ensure that the right first aid provisions are put in place and the appropriate appointed persons as first aiders are identified.
By completing this risk assessment, you will put your mind at ease as well as making your employees feel a whole lot safer knowing that first aid is taken seriously within the organisation.
What is a First Aid Needs Assessment?
A First Aid Needs Assessment refers to the process of identifying the hazards and potential injuries that may occur in your workplace, which will enable you to decide what precautions need to be put into place.
The Health and Safety executive published the 2013 First Aid Guidelines for Employers which recommends how many first aiders are required and where they should be located within the building.
What should a First Aid Needs Assessment consider?
A First Aid Needs Assessment must consider:
- The nature of the work taking place, the hazards and potential risks
- The environment of the workplace as a whole
- The history of accidents and illnesses within the organisation
- The needs of travelling, remote and solo workers
- The patterns of work which will include shift work
- The distance between a site and the emergency medical services
- All employees working on shared or multi-occupied sites
- All annual leave and other absences of first aiders
- The first aid provision put in place for non-employees
- The size of the organisation as a whole
You should always be prepared for an accident in the workplace by having sufficient first aid equipment. This includes a first aid kit so that any injuries can be dealt with quickly and correctly before they become more severe, or even life-threatening.
Does your business require external support with your First Aid Needs Assessment?
Guardian Support’s Health & Safety consultants are fully trained in carrying out comprehensive First Aid Needs Assessment and can identify what is required for your specific business following an on-site visit and complete analysis.
We will then make recommendations to ensure your business is health and safety executive compliant as well as providing a written record of this process, ensuring that you have a comprehensive first aid needs assessment to refer to when necessary.
Our First Aid Needs Assessment service contains:
- An onsite visit from your health and safety consultant
- Completed first aid needs assessment, identifying risks and the arrangements that have been made should an accident take place
- First Aid Needs assessment provided to you both in hard copy and electronically
- Reviewed annually if you remain a client
- Regular updates on health and safety changes via our electronic newsletter
If you need a First Aid Needs Assessment completed or would like some advice on how to complete one, contact us or call us today on 0845 2626 260.
Book a free consultation today on 0845 2626 260.