Employers often downplay the importance of Display Screen Equipment (DSE) assessments. More and more businesses rely on display screens but these pieces of technology pose long term health risks. A DSE Risk Assessment will help you put preventative measures in place.
At Guardian Support, our health and safety consultants are here to support employers in conducting DSE Risk Assessments.
What is a Display Screen Assessment?
A Display Screen Assessment is a risk assessment employers must take when employees use DSE equipment as part of their everyday working activities continuously for an hour or more.
Why do I need a Display Screen Assessment?
A Display Screen Assessment is needed when employees spend a substantial amount of time sat at a computer screen, TV, or on a smartphone.
Workstations need to be set up properly and precautions put in place to avoid any overusing of Display Screen Equipment. If workstations aren’t set up properly, it can cause eye strain, back problems and other serious health issues. For this reason, DSE Risk Assessments need to be carried out on a regular basis to identify any hazards to the health and well being of your employees.
What should you look at in a Display Screen Risk Assessment?
Employers should look at:
- The whole of the workstation, including equipment, furniture used and the overall work conditions
- The job being done by the employee
- Any special requirements of staff – for example a user with a disability
By looking at these elements, you can identify risks and take steps to reduce them.
When should an employer complete a Display Screen Risk Assessment?
Employers should complete a DSE Assessment when:
- A new workstation is set up within the workplace
- When a new employee/user starts work
- A change is made to the workstation or the way it is being used
- A user makes a complaint of pain or discomfort
Is your business looking for an expert to complete your DSE Assessments?
DSE assessments can be completed in-house but can be time-consuming. Because of this, businesses choose to outsource their assessment support to Guardian Support.
We provide you with a dedicated Health & Safety consultant who will conduct an efficient DSE assessment to help you comply with your obligations as an employer. This means that there is one less thing for you to worry about.
Our service includes:
- An onsite visit from your dedicated health and safety consultant
- Completion of your DSE workstations risk assessment
- DSE assessment documentation provided to you both in hard copy and electronically
- Reviewed annually if you remain a client
- Regular updates on health and safety changes via our electronic newsletter
If you need a Display Screen Equipment Assessment completed or would like some advice, contact us or call us today on 0845 2626 260.
Book a free consultation today by calling us on 0845 262 6260.